An important goal of our organization is to maintain community involvement and awareness. We carry out this part of our mission by participating in various functions throughout the year. These include blood drives, American Cancer Society Relay for Life, health and senior fairs, block parties, Christmas parades, hosting bingo at senior centers, and many other community events. Please stop by when you see a Lakeside Hospice booth.
Lakeside Hospice also offers a wide variety of community education classes to the general public and professional community. We are available to speak at churches, civic organizations, study groups, businesses, hospitals, senior centers and medical offices. We offer the following topics:
• Hospice for the Non-Hospice Professional
• Nutrition and Dehydration in the Terminally Ill
• Dealing with Stress in the Workplace
• Prognosis Guidelines in non-Cancer Diagnoses
• How We Die
• End of Life Issues
• Good Grief – Coping with Loss
• Boundaries – Who is in Control of Your Life?
• Children’s Grief
• Anger Management – Part I
• Anger Management – Part II
• Professional Boundaries
• Symptom Management
• Bridging the Culture Gap
• Working with Difficult and Combative Patients / People
Lakeside Hospice is a CEU provider. We offer monthly CEU’s at the Lakeside Hospice office. At least twice a year we offer education topics that impact the community, such as West Nile Virus, SARS, Alzheimer’s, etc.
If you or anyone you know are in need of a speaker for your organization, please call Christine Smith, Community Education Coordinator, at 205-884-1111 or 800-427-3993. Or you can contact her via email.